04 October 2012

Yanbu Diving



Diving in Yanbu the other weekend was fun, though I still think Al Lith is my favorite dive spot.  At Yanbu, there were virtually no big fish and unfortunately, after the first dive I got a massive headache and had to sit out the second dive.  Its funny because diving seems so easy most of the time, just strap on a tank and swim around, but things can go bad very fast.  Dirty air, faulty regulators, forgetting to breath, too-tight-masks, not enough weight, staying too deep too long can turn a fun afternoon at sea into a nightmare.  Luckily, I just had a headache and all is fine now, perhaps I was just unconsciously holding my breath.  I will be more cautious the next time I go to 30 meters.

We had a fun time though, the wreck we dove around was really cool and had lots of interesting coral/ sponge cover.  There were many pretty little fish even if there weren't any big Mamas.  The group of us that went were mostly all from the same lab so it was nice to get away from the office and have some fun together.  We were joined, though, by our very own Psy and one of this year's Rolex Scholars.  For any budding Marine Scientists out there, this scholarship sounds pretty awesome.  More info on Yolly's blog found here.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! Diving in the wreck,no thanks! Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not surprised by the headache, from 13,000 feet plus above to 100 feet plus below. great pictures! Dixie is practicing swimming so she can slap on a tank.

    ReplyDelete