04 September 2015



What's that you say?  There's something in the water?  Big fish, big teeth?

I will just continue peering into sponges.  Never mind those roaming elasmobranchs.  Because there is a whole other world waiting inside your neighborhood sponge.  Take a look and you might find teeny tiny guppies, brittle stars, nudibranchs, gastropods, or yet... more sponge.  An easter egg hunt on every dive.

We had two enjoyable dives in Providencia.  It is very different to dive for fun rather than for work.  There's the guide, and the group of people, and the time limits, but you don't have to worry about carrying a bunch of tubes with you, counting creatures, or avoiding eels when working close to the reef.  It was fun.  However, again we were a bit sad to see that Caribbean, You've got an algae problem.  The stuff is everywhere.  The corals are not looking good.  There was, however, quite an abundance of big fish.  I have never dived with so many sharks.  Several times I almost bumped into one.  They seemed quite curious.  But the benthic fauna seems to be struggling.


Guppie and Brittle Star!!

That's one fine looking sponge...

turtle! 

I would just hug that sponge if he weren't so spiculey!

one fish two fish red fish blue fish...


sponge attacking coral!!

cleaner shrimp!

whelp, cya later!


2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see all those Sharks. I am pretty sure that Most people try to AVOID BUMPING into sharks. Great Pics!
    What species of Sharks are those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lord. Sharks. Big ones. You know me and my feelings there. Love M

    ReplyDelete